A library card provides access not only to the books, audiobooks, DVDs, and CDs shared throughout the Martin County Libraries, it also grants access to eBooks, millions of articles, books from libraries throughout Florida, and other reliable information online. Cards are free to residents, property owners, and business owners of Martin County. All that is required to obtain a library card is proof of residency such as a driver's license with a local address, voter's registration card, Florida state identification card, or a Martin County tax bill. Every three years, we will confirm your residency and update your contact information.
Regardless of residency, free library cards are available to our volunteers, Martin County School District teachers, students, and Martin County Government Employees.
Nonresident adults may purchase a card for the following rates.
One year: $50
6 Months: $30
3 Months: $20
Nonresident kids and teens may purchase a one year card for $20. Children under 16 require a parent to obtain a library card.
Users can update contact information using the link on this page. Please note, if a replacement library card is needed, you will need to visit a Martin County Library with a picture ID. The replacement cost is $1.00.
New users can apply for a library card online using the link on this page. The applicant can use our electronic resources as soon as the card is received in the mail. It will not be fully activated until the applicant visits a Martin County Library with proof of residency/exception. Martin County Libraries are voter registration agencies. You may turn in your voter registration form at any library location.
The Martin County Library System offers an E-Business card for our business users. This card is offered to any Treasure Coast business (Martin, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, and Indian River Counties), this library card number allows access to our Online Resources. Your business' FEI/EIN number, available from the Florida Division of Corporations, is required to receive access.
Item Limits: There is a limit of 30 items total that can be checked out at any one time on a library card. This can include any items of any format such as books, audio books, DVD's, etc.
Due Dates: The loan period for books, audio books, and compact discs is two (2) weeks. The checkout time on DVDs is one (1) week. Newspapers and magazines do not circulate.
Hold-Reserve: Patrons who have computers with internet access can reserve materials from home by following these steps:
- Access the library's catalog
- Find the item you are looking for in the catalog by entering title, author, etc. If more than one item is displayed you will need to click on the title or picture of the item, this will display the full record and show whether the item is available and at which library location.
- If the item is checked out (or at another branch), you can place a hold on the item by clicking on the "Place Hold" link. Put your library card number in on the next screen (no spaces), select which branch you want to pick the item up at, and click "place hold." You will then get a screen showing your name and the title of the item placed on hold - click "OK" to confirm the information. Your hold has now been placed and you will be called or emailed when the item you requested is available.
Renew My Materials: Borrowers may renew most materials up to five (5) times providing there are no reserve requests attached to the materials. Items with reserves must be returned on time. Materials renewed late have fines. Extended checkout time is added from the day of renewal.
- In Person Renewals: Borrowers may renew in person by bringing in the materials to any Martin County Library System branch. Renewals may be done without the materials being present as long as the customer presents the library card on which the items were charged or as long as the identity of the patron has been verified.
- Telephone Renewals: Borrowers may renew eligible materials by telephone using the Automated Telephone renewal line at (772) 288-5702 extension 2. Materials renewed late will have fines.
- Online Renewals: Borrowers may renew eligible materials by logging into the library's catalog through the "My Account" menu selection.
- Renewals of Interlibrary Loan: Due dates are set by the lending library. There are no renewals on Interlibrary Loan materials. There is a $1.00 a day late fee for overdue Interlibrary Loans.
Return Materials: Books and other materials can be returned to any branch within the Martin County Library System, it does not have to be the same branch the item was borrowed from. Library materials can be returned in one of the outside book drops after hours. Please, do not return Martin County Library items to another library system and do not return books from another system to us.
Fines and Fees: Overdue fines are charged for materials returned after the due date. Overdue items will cost $0.25 per item per day to the maximum of $10.00 per item. No fines are charged for holiday closings, or days the libraries are closed. Overdue Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Martin's Most Wanted (MMW) material will cost $1.00 a day per item with a $10.00 maximum per item. Library users are responsible for the replacement cost of lost, damaged or never returned materials. The library sends a notification when an item is three (3) days overdue. If you would like to receive a reminder before something becomes overdue, LibraryElf offers free email notifications a day before an item is due.