Before Hurricane Season
Prevent storm debris by preparing your property for hurricane season (June 1 – November 30). You can help reduce a storm’s impact by cutting back trees and vegetation from power lines or other areas that could damage your home and property. All major vegetation projects should be completed before the start of hurricane season.
Prepare your property
- Cut back all trees and weak branches that make contact with your home.
- Thin your foliage so wind can flow freely through branches, decreasing the chance that trees/plants will be uprooted.
- Clear your yard of any items, such as broken lawn furniture, lumber and old toys, that could become missiles in a storm.
- If you are having trees removed or trimmed by a contractor, tree company or landscaper, be sure to have them remove the debris.
- Please do not trim vegetation just before a storm as it will not be collected until after the storm.