Under the State Housing Initiative Partnership (SHIP) program, qualified Martin County homeowners can request income related housing rehabilitation assistance. In order to apply, you must be the owner and occupy the home. The County's Housing Program runs the State Housing Initiative Program (SHIP). If you qualify, you may be eligible for SHIP grant assistance. The following is a partial list of the types of improvements that would be eligible under the program as determined by the Program Administrator or designee:
- Correction of an inadequate electrical service and/or wiring, which presents a hazard of fire or shock of electrocution.
- Correction of leaking or inadequate water supply and/or septic systems, which presents a health hazard when the total of other approved repairs exceed $1,500.
- Correction of inoperable, leaking, or otherwise grossly inadequate windows and doors, which make proper heating and cooling of the dwelling unit(s) impossible at a reasonable cost to the owners.
- Improvement of the roof, walls, ceiling, floors, or other structural elements which are in danger of collapse because of cracking, shifting, etc., or which leak moisture or air in a manner that affects the health of the occupants.
- Replacement of heating and cooling units or systems, which are inadequate to properly heat and cool the dwelling unit(s) or present fire or other health or safety hazards.
- Insulation to a structure, which is not now insulated.
- Correction or removal of unsafe stairs or porches.
- Cost of permits and related fees required by the County or municipalities to accomplish the improvements.
- Any other improvements deemed eligible and appropriate to meet SHIP program goals as determined by the Program Administrator or designee.
- Improvements to make structures accessible for handicapped members of household.
- Demolition and one-for-one replacement of units that are deemed infeasible for rehabilitation of the original structure AND where leverage funds (CDBG, USDA, HOME, etc.) are available and sufficient to complete the project and comply with all SHIP program requirements.
SHIP funds will not be used to make improvements that do not contribute to the health, safety, and well-being of the occupants; or that do not materially contribute to the structural integrity or long-term preservation of the unit. Painting, paneling, and carpeting are not subject to this limit if done to cover newly-installed material.