The confluence of the new St. Lucie-Okeechobee Waterway (completed in 1923) and newly improved St. Lucie Inlet was expected to become a significant center of commerce.
A major deep-water port planned for the region was to serve as a shipping point for the area's growing citrus industry, as well as a center of transfer for goods to be shipped along the new cross-state canal.
Newspapers of the lower Indian River boasted that the new master planned "Port St. Lucie" (a separate plan and several miles south from the post-World War II development of the same name) would become a major port city.
In the midst of the enthusiasm, "Golden Gate," a 200 block "far reaching and modern development" was planned on land originally part of an earlier Progressive-Era town known as "Port Sewall."
The Golden Gate Building was constructed in 1925 and became the cornerstone for Martin County's first planned major residential development. Its construction fell at around the same time that another developer had launched ambitious plans for a major development in Hobe Sound and Jupiter Island, called Picture City.