The Martin County Library System offers free access to eBooks and eAudiobooks with your Martin County Library card. Ebooks are digital books that you can read or listen to on a computer or a portable device such as an iPad, Kindle, smartphone, or a laptop. Log-in to OverDrive or the Libby app using your library card number (without spaces or dashes) and your PIN (try the last four digits of your phone number).
eBooks & eAudiobooks Information
October 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM
OverDrive lets you borrow digital content like eBooks and eAudiobooks. The OverDrive collection is a curated selection of individually purchased titles accessible through an internet browser, Libby App optimized for eBooks, or OverDrive Media Console App for eAudiobooks.
On a mobile device:
- Download the free Libby App from App Store or Google Play
- Find your library by name, "Martin County Library," or zip code
- Enter your Library Card ID and PIN (try the last 4 digits of your phone number)
- You can now search for and checkout a book!
- Borrowed titles appear under Shelf > Loans and download to the app automatically when you're connected to Wi-Fi, so you can read them when you're offline.
- From your Loans, you can:
- Tap Read With... to choose where you'd like to read the book (Kindle or Libby), then finish sending to Kindle or start reading in Libby.
- Tap Manage Loan to see options like Renew and Return.
Kindle eInk (Paperwhite, Oasis)
You can borrow Kindle Books from your library to read on eInk Kindle devices or Kindle reading apps with these general instructions:
- Checkout an eBook from the OverDrive website or Libby app.
- Find the eBook you've borrowed on your Checkouts page (under your Account). From there, select Read now with Kindle.
- You'll be taken to Amazon's website to finish getting the eBook.
- Sign into your Amazon account, verify the "Deliver to:" device and select Get Library Book.
Renewing digital titles works a little differently than renewing physical books from the library. When you renew a digital title, it doesn't extend your lending period; instead, it lets you borrow the title again immediately after your current checkout expires.
You'll see the Renew option for a title on your Loans page (under Loans) three days before it expires, as long as there are no holds. If the title has holds, you can't renew it, but you can request it again.
How to renew a title
- Sign into your Account on your library's OverDrive website and got to Checkouts or go to the Loans page in the app
- Select the Renew link next to the title you'd like to renew
- Note: Any time left on your current lending period is canceled when you renew a title. For example, if a title expires in two days and you renew it for seven days, the new due date will be seven days from the moment you renew.
- After you renew the title, you'll see the new due date and options to open or download it.
- If you downloaded the title to the OverDrive app or your device, you'll need to download it again to apply the new due date.
- If you sent the title to Kindle, you'll need to return it from your Amazon account, then send it to Kindle from your library again to apply the new due date.
Patrons can borrow up to thirty (30) eBooks with their Martin County Library card.
If you are using the Axis 360 mobile app, you can return your title early via the My Stuff section. In iOS, swipe to the left to reveal a Return button and then tap it to return your item. In Android, tap the menu icon next to the title you wish to return and then tap the Return button.
Digital content will be returned automatically at the end of the checkout period.