Special Needs Evacuation Assistance
The Special Needs Program provides assistance to eligible citizens in time of disaster or when an evacuation has been ordered. This may be sheltering at a general shelter, or a special needs shelter that includes limited medical oversight and needs such as oxygen, as well as evacuation transportation to and from the shelter. When evacuation orders are issued within the County the registrants are contacted and advised when transportation will arrive to pick them up from a home and take them to a shelter. The program also provides for citizens in need of transportation due to economic difficulties, a disability, or simply lack of transportation from their home to a public shelter. Residents must pre-register and registration must be renewed each year.
Who is Eligible for this Program?
- Martin County residents requiring transportation to and from a designated emergency shelter;
- Residing in an ordered evacuation area, recommended evacuation area, or unsafe residence (mobile/manufactured home), OR;
- Requiring, within the limits of services provided, assistance with mobility, oxygen, routine medication administration, routine health monitoring, etc.
- Residents requiring greater levels of assistance than can be provided by this service such as a hospital bed, hemodialysis, life support equipment, IV chemotherapy, full ventilator, etc. must make alternative plans with the assistance of a physician or health care professional.
The Special Needs Shelter (when activated) is located at:
Anderson Middle School
7000 Atlantic Ridge Drive
Stuart, FL 34997
How to Register:
- Residents can register online by clicking the "Online Registation" button below, OR;
- Residents can print the registration by clicking the "Registration Form" button below, and mail it in to the address on the form, OR;
- Residents can pick the forms up in person at Martin County Emergency Management at 800 SE Monterey Road, Stuart, Fl., 34994, or at any library branch, OR;
- Residents can call our Special Needs Coordinator at (772) 287-1652.
- Home Health Agencies must register clients upon intake.
A medical review committee reviews each application and determines eligibility of the applicant. Individuals with medical needs that exceed the level of care available at the Special Needs Shelter need to have a care plan in place to address their individual needs during an emergency situation. Individuals with no medical needs but just require transportation during evacuation orders will be transported to a Red Cross shelter.
Click the "Request for Help or Information" button below to submit an inquiry.