The Licensing Division of the Martin County Building Department enforces contractor compliance with State of Florida Statues and local county regulation. All Martin County contractors are required to be licensed and insured.
Why Hire a Licensed Contractor?
- A licensed person has the required education, experience, insurance and qualifications to obtain a license.
- They must pass a competency examination before practicing.
- Licensing departments can discipline and even revoke a license if the person lacks professional standards.
- Problems can occur after unlicensed work that may not be covered by homeowners insurance.
- Only Homeowners and Licensed contractors can pull permits.
- Licensed Contractors should be up to date on building codes.
- Because it’s the law
Tips for Hiring a Licensed Contractor
- Get a written contract
- Confirm license is valid. an occupational license does not qualify as a contractor license
- Get references
- If required, make sure permit is pulled
- Do not pay cash or write checks to individuals
- Do not hire someone working on the side
- Do not make final payment until permit is closed out
Contractor License Verification
Contractors that are authorized to work in Martin County can be verified. Select the button below to access our online licensing system and verify if a contractor is licensed to do work in Martin County.